Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Cool






They say we’re in the tropics, but in the middle of the night, our first in the rental, I had to get up and put on one of my Irish knit sweaters then took the other to wrap around my feet. After a busy night of everyone swapping beds and climbing in with someone else in search of extra body heat or maybe in hopes of stealing another blanket, we finally got comfortable and slept in a lot later than usual. We were awakened by the crazed flapping of the birds above, Wampoo Fruit Doves, outside our window fighting over palm seeds. They have dove heads and parrot bodies, with brilliant plummy maroon chests.

We made a trip into town today and picked up some extra household supplies, a new shower curtain, scouring powder, disinfectant, and a scrub brush for the bathrooms, and extra blankets. Regardless, I’m tucked in tonight under my new wool blanket with my sweater and thermal socks on, just in case.


Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it.

-- Mark Twain

No comments: