Friday, October 20, 2006

Time Out

“There, there, dear, I’m sure he’ll be back…” accompanied by a sympathetic, knowing smile and the promise of assistance if we need anything, has been the general response when I answer locals’ queries about my husband’s extended (again) absence. Add to this the facts that our rental house has been sold, we have been given notice to leave, rentals here are practically non-existant, the choice properties are being snapped up by wealthy drought refugees from the south, Elle snapped the door off our brand new clothes drier by swinging on it, the real estate market in Florida still stinks, and probably will for some time, and you can see what fun I’ve been having lately. Without jinxing things though, I will say things are starting to look up…

In the meantime, when confronted with too much reality, I soothe myself with a heavy dose of fantasy. In addition to the second season of Lost, I have been catching up on all the movies I’ve been wanting to see but haven’t had time for: Donnie Darko, Finding Neverland, Crash, The DaVinci Code, The Village, Walk the Line, I Heart Huckabees, and Romper Stomper. Continuing in the Australian Legends vein, I think I’m due for a little Mad Max and maybe The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.

With a three-day weekend ahead plus a couple more movies, I should be able to get through the next few days until Jorge returns.


Now I’ve got schemes
And I’ve got schemes
Let’s get together and dream some dreams
Let’s go
Time’s a wastin’

-- Carl Smith (sung by Johnny Cash and June Carter at the Grand Ole Opry)

No comments: