Saturday, September 01, 2007

Catch Up

Sarabelle's first public appearance with the strings ensemble last night went very well, in spite of an attack of pre-traumatic stress syndrome when Grice commented that her sister makes weird faces when she plays and the uniform she had to wear made her "look like an old lady." After the music when the group took their seats for dinner, I gave her a subtle but enthusiastic thumbs up and in reply she shook her head slowly back and forth. She confided later that she had faked it on one piece, one she had not yet learned, and her friend the cello player teased her about playing the tune so well without ever touching the strings. Only they would have known. Sarabelle is very excited because her music teacher invited her this past Friday to take up the electric bass guitar after another student dropped out. "Can you see me in a rock band, Mom!" Um, er, I hadn't really considered it, honey (even though this was always a secret fantasy of mine and even knowing the late, legendary Jaco Pastorius as a friend of friend.) Uncle M will at least be glad to have someone to jam with, and I will at least be thankful that this instrument is slightly more portable. The music teacher, who sat next to me during the remainder of last night's dinner allayed my fears slightly explaining that the instrument is part of the main orchestra and the jazz band. Okay then. Exhale.

She's been on another creative tear lately, running back and forth from practicing her double bass in her bedroom to painting in the kitchen. She made a beautiful wooden tray with dovetailed joints at school and decided to paint it in a mosaic design patterned after a skirt of mine. She would love for me to post a picture of it, and I might, if Lily Pulitzer promises not to sue us for copyright infringement.

Finally, here are some photos from the Broker's visit. Most of mine seem to be from The Blue Hole, where the swimming hole is 99% Croc Free (TM), our cave art bushwalk with Willie up near Cooktown, and the fateful excursion to Chillagoe.


I have no particular talent. I am merely inquisitive.

-- Albert Einstein

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My husband loves Jaco's music. My favorite is John and Mary.
Dot