Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Big Day

I spent the day in Cairns, getting a couple of those female-type tests done, the regular annual check-up ones, the ones that would cost me if I had them done back in Florida. Seriously, people, what is wrong with socialized medicine?

I also had another appointment with the immigration officers. We have come so close in our quest for citizenship. We had only to apply and pay the fees, but our hasty departure threatened the success of this venture: Passports must be submitted with the package and application approvals may take up to three months. And we will be needing our passports very shortly. The phone representative I spoke with a couple weeks ago could not advise me on any expediting services and recommended a visit to the office.

My hope was that they could at least make copies of our voluminous documentation and begin the process. The officer wanted to know why it was so important to obtain citizenship when we could still come and go, attend university, and have healthcare with permanent residency status. I explained my biggest concern was that immigration rules might change in the time we are overseas, as they had done already since we undertook this endeavor. First of all, she informed us only the three of us still in Australia could apply. She let me know she could initiate the process but warned it could be hung up by the police check because my first name and surname are fairly common. If a match or partial match to my name appeared, a complete background search would be required at the federal level which could take up to three weeks. And even if I passed the police check and our application could be approved, I would still need to attend a formal citizenship ceremony on Australian soil, foreign embassies excluded, and most likely would not have time to then secure Australian passports for everyone, even with expedited service. Since Australian citizens are required to enter Australia on Australian passports this could be another dead end.

But.

Re-entry for citizens is allowable with only a certificate, though you are almost guaranteed to encounter greater delays, so says the department's online information.

I decided to go for it.

The police check was clear and our application was approved right then and there. The officer advised our next step was to contact our local shire and request a private ceremony at least two weeks out to insure timely delivery of the certificates.

The girl at our shire office questioned the need for a private ceremony. Couldn't I just wait until January 26th, Australia Day, when they are normally performed? After I explained our time frame she asked if we wouldn't mind having our ceremony combined with another group's already scheduled for November 21.

So November 21 it is.




We are one, but we are many,
And from all the lands on Earth we come;
We'll share a dream and sing with one voice:
I am, you are, we are Australian.

-- Bruce Woodley and Dobe Newton ("I Am Australian")

1 comment:

hornblower said...

Oh man, I go for a self imposed blog reading ban, stop checking in for a couple months, and what happens?! I fall way behind is what & you have been very busy. Wow. Lots of news & changes.
Good luck on the 21st & with the packing/planning the "visit for the holidays".