Friday, June 29, 2007

Not the finest of pictures, but overdue...

Trying to get through The Confessions of St. Augustine, part of my effort to read the Great Books of the Western World, with my trusty lapdog keeping me company.



Everyone is enjoying the bumper crop of citrus -- well, maybe not the farmers, come to think of it, at fifty cents per pound -- and people are constantly handing us bags of oranges, tangerines, lemons, and other tasty treats when we run into them or they drop by for a cuppa. I've aways thought gardenias and Chanel No. 5 were my favorite scents, but freshly cut mandarins are right at the top of my list.



You will probably all be thinking how summery this next picture looks, but keep in mind this is the coldest day of the year so far, somewhere around forty degrees Fahrenheit. Yeah. We have no heat and she's in a bathing suit. While I shuffle around with a blanket over my head. Nana would've said, "No sense, no feeling."



And just to give you a glimpse of the incredible beauty here, this is the playing field at Grice's school, just up the road. They were hosting the area's primary schools cross country race. This is what we see everyday. Just riding to the grocery store, the post office, or even the dump is enjoyable. Gorgeous, isn't it?




One ought every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words.

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

4 comments:

Becky said...

For some reason I always wondered if the little snap of you behind the camera was really you and now I know it is! I love being able to put a face to the friend :)

But I have fallen of the Great Books wagon with a bang and a thump :(.

Rebel said...

Wow, the field is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

OK, gotta ask...where'd ya get the granny glasses???!!! HAHAHA!!! Carolyn

Donna Boucher said...

Your lap dog is a riot...a beautiful riot!

I'm happy to see you.

You are welcome to come for a visit. :o)

I think you Goethe quote would make a wonderful bloggie tag line.