Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Down for the count

Jorge and Elle just called from Houston. They are almost home after some last minute juggling when Qantas caused them to be late for their Los Angeles to Fort Lauderdale connection. I'd been waiting to hear from them to be sure they didn't have any trouble with the new hastily arranged flights I'd scheduled in the meantime. And now I will go back to sleep.

I never understood how people died of the flu, like in the 1918 pandemic. I used to think, jeez, it's just a bad cold, how could it kill you? Those people must have been wimps. Now I know. And a couple days ago, before I discovered the bliss that is over-the-counter codeine-laced cold medicine, death was a welcome option.


To die, to sleep;
To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;

-- William Shakespeare (Hamlet)

No comments: